April 15, 2020
Thinking of you: A letter to students from the Dean for Student Life
I hope all is well with you, your friends, and your loved ones—we miss you and the energy that you bring to MIT’s corridors, classrooms, labs, and residences. I want to take a few moments to let you know that you’re in my thoughts and to remind you that now, more than ever, it is important to focus on self-care, relations with others, and a sense of purpose.
Many resources available to you on campus—such as S3, GradSupport, Disability and Access Services, and Student Mental Health and Counseling Services—are now available virtually. I also want you to know about other, informal supports that you can access just about any time:
- Our student support professionals just launched a wonderful new online guide titled Staying Well During Covid-19, focused on mind, body, relationships, and purpose—all of which are related to thriving personally and academically.
- Community Wellness at MIT Medical has free classes specifically designed for your physical wellbeing and mental health. There are free virtual yoga, stretching, and group exercise classes, and self-directed mindfulness tools that you can use right now. Please also check out these free virtual instructor-led meditation sessions, the live 10-minute daily check-in, and the class about managing stress around Covid-19.
- Having trouble sleeping? The SleepRate app for insomnia and other sleep issues is available to the MIT community courtesy of Community Wellness. Sign up with your MIT email address.
- For other exercises, try the free Wellbeats mobile fitness app which is available on a 90-day trial through DAPER Recreation. It connects you to hundreds of exercise videos and tracks your progress. If you choose not to try Wellbeats, perhaps try one of DAPER’s virtual group exercise classes, which are taught by some of the community’s most popular instructors.
- Whether you draw strength from a faith tradition, spiritual practice, or meditation, the Office of Religious, Spiritual, and Ethical Life is here for you. Contact a chaplain or visit their site to learn about virtual programs, resources, and upcoming events.
- Lastly, I hope that you’re taking full advantage of the new Student Success Coaching Program for undergraduates and grad students that launched earlier this month. Email email@example.com if you have questions about the program.
Please know that you can always reach out to me and share your thoughts or ask a question. I am also working on some events that will allow us to connect virtually soon. Until then, we’re sending a lot of MIT love and support your way.
Vice President and Dean for Student Life